The DNSFilter Android App allows you to protect roaming mobile clients on and off network. This is similar to how the Windows User Agent functions. The app operates a special VPN which forwards DNS queries to DNSFilter, but avoids forwarding the rest of your traffic to our servers. Thus, the privacy of your data is ensured.
The app can also be uninstalled unless you use a Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution to lock it down.
The agent can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
Upon installation, you will simply be required to enter the Secret Site Key for the network associated with your agent. You can obtain this from the user agent installation panel of the dashboard. You can optionally enter a hostname to identify the agent in the dashboard.
A video of the User Agent deployment is below:
At this time, the DNSFilter Android app works in concert with MDM solutions, to enforce app installation, and install the DNSFilter root certificate. Below is a sample configuration with Hexnode, however the settings will be common to leading solutions:
- Create a new policy.
- Navigate to the Android Settings tab, then click on Restrictions on the left. Underneath "Allow Device Functionality", click to uncheck Widgets on lock screen
- Now select "Advanced Restrictions, and check Hide Status Bar.
- Navigate on the left to "App Management" -> "Mandatory Apps". From within this menu, click the button to Add App. You will be given a place to search through the Play Store. Search for "DNSFilter" and the app will be the first search result.
- For this step, you will need to download the DNSFilter certificate from the dashboard. Once that is done, click on "Certificates" on the left, then "Add Certificate". You will be able to upload the certificate here. Now click Save at the bottom to save your entire policy. Under the Management tab at the top, associate this new policy to your devices or device groups.
- Lastly, you will need to open the Hexnode app on your android device(s). From there, the DNSFilter app will be ready to install and setup. You may either Enable auto-registration from the DNSFilter dashboard, or enter the Site Secret Key. Turn on the filter. Your device is now protected!
You can find the history of the Android Roaming Client release notes on our public changelog.
Updated 8 months ago