Roaming Client Chrome Extension Notice
This version of the DNSFilter roaming client is intended for LanSchool customers looking to deploying DNSFilter to Chromebooks. For complete functionality, this Chrome extension must be deployed to managed G Suite users using Chromebooks. A managed G Suite domain and access to the Google Admin Dashboard is required. We intend to support additional deployment options in the near future.
The Google Chrome Extension Roaming Client is a browser based endpoint agent that provides device specific and granular reporting and filtering. It is primarily used by managed Chromebooks to disallow any circumvention of software.
- MDM Deployment - The Chrome extension can be deployed using common Chromebook-compatible MDM's to easily get filtering and protection started.
- Granular Reporting - Per device filtering and reporting is possible with the Chrome extension, allowing administrators to view which device made what request, and more.
- Roaming - Like our other Roaming clients, the Chrome extension allows off-network filtering. No matter which network the device is connected to, filtering will always remain active.
- Tagging - Using the tagging feature, you can easily change policies for large groups of computers. Use cases include: teachers/students, corporate departments, public/private computers, etc.
The Google Chrome extension is primarily designed for Managed Chromebooks so to reliably avoid circumvention, if a device is not managed by an MDM the end-user can easily remove the extension.
We'll be using the Google Admin Dashboard for this example, but note that other MDM's are similar in setting up the extension.
- Login to admin.google.com and Navigate to Devices > Chrome Management > Apps & Extensions
- Select the OU of users you wish to deploy the DNSFilter Chrome Extension to.
- Click the + Button and select "Add Chrome Extension by ID".
- Select "From Custom URL" and enter the following:
Extension ID: ahailcbfmbjeilfjapehbjlclkeffojh Custom URL: https://chromeupdate.dnsfilter.com/chrome-extension/updates.xml
- Click Save.
6.Select the Installation Policy and set it to "Force Install".
- With the extension selected, enter the following JSON in the "Policy for Extensions" field (replace contents with your site key.
- Click Save.
When a User in that OU logs into a Chromebook, the extension will force-install and register with the site.
- Yandex SafeSearch - When you enable SafeSearch on Yandex the search function will be blocked as it's not possible to enforce filtered searches on the Yandex search engine through the Chrome extension.
You can find the history of the Chrome Browser Roaming Client release notes on our public changelog.
Updated 16 days ago